What is the Athletes' Commission?
Gymnastics Australia established an Athletes Commission with the view to providing a process to promote open communication with and feedback from, athletes. GA believes, like most other sports, that athletes, present and past, can make a very valuable contribution to our sport.
In 2001, the GA constitution was changed to include the chairperson of the Athletes' Commission as a Board Member. The Chairperson is Damian Ryan.
The Athletes Commission is:-
- A non-political group which can offer advice and assistance to GA on matters and issues of relevance to athletes.
- A promotional tool available for the purposes of promoting the sport to sponsors, the media and the general public.
- A resource for GA to enable athletes to be drawn on to provide advice and feedback on matters relevant to athletes.
- A group that can facilitate and promote high standards of sportsmanship and ethical performance when competing/participating at the national or international level.
- A group that can relate immediately to athletes competing at the highest level and establish relationships to promote feedback to GA on matters concerning elite athletes.This group will have a national focus and deal with national and international matters.
- Establish open lines of communication with athletes to identify issues relevant to the various gymsports that need to be addressed by the Commission.
- Examine the GA Business Plan and give feedback to the Board on areas of improvement and/ or concerns that require input from athletes.
- Assist in the formulation of policy for athlete support programs.
- To provide support for athletes to achieve their personal best.
- Assist athletes in their retirement from competition/participation in the sport and ensure that they receive the appropriate recognition and assistance through this stage.
- Ensure the Roll of Honour is maintained.
- Provide regular reports and recommendations to the GA Board on issues of relevance to athletes.
- Assist in promoting and delivering the Ambassador Program.
- Undertake special projects that may be relevant to the Commission and their Terms of Reference.
Note: This is not a conclusive list and roles and responsibilities may be changed from time to time as determined by the Board.
- The Commission will consist of a maximum of four (4) members comprising the Chairperson and three (3) ordinary members.
- The term of office for Commission members will be four (4) years.
- One formal meeting per year, other meetings to be called on a needs basis; and
Meetings on an informal basis when the opportunity arises.
- The Commission will have access to the following communication tools:
- The GA Web site will include a special page on the Athletes Commission with an ability for athletes to e-mail the Commission with any of their concerns and/ or view points;
- Commission members to receive the GA Board minutes, technical bulletins and events/team reports; and
- Chairperson of the Athletes Commission will be a Board member.
Click here to view current Athlete Commission Member information.