Gymnastics Australia is committed to providing you with the highest levels of membership service. This includes protecting your privacy. From 21st December 2001, GA has been bound by the new sections of the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988, which sets out a number of principles concerning the protection of individual's personal information.
The aim of these new laws is to ensure that organisations handle personal information responsibly and provide a consistent approach to its collection, use and disclosure. These new laws also give the individual new rights such as access to their personal information and the ability to correct it, if needed.
Our Privacy Statement contains the following important information the Privacy Act requires us to communicate to all of our customers, regarding the use of your personal information:
How do we collect Personal Information
To deliver and enhance the services offered by Gymnastics Australia, certain personal information is collected. Gymnastics Australia collects personal information from you that you volunteer when:
- You register to become an affiliated club
- You register to become an affiliated gymnast
- You register to become an affiliated technical member
- You enter a Gymnastics Australia event or participation program
- You participate in a Gymnastics Australia course
- You purchase merchandise from us
- You request information from us
- You provide information to one of our staff
- You participated in one of our surveys
How do we use Personal Information
We will only collect information that is necessary for us to carry out our primary purpose of providing services relating to: membership, education, events and merchandise.
Your personal information may be used in order to:
- Provide the services you require
- Internal accounting and administration
- Regulatory reporting and compliance
- Help us to identify and inform you about other products or services that may be of benefit to you
If we send you any information about services or products you do not require, or you do not want us to disclose personal information to any other organisation (including related organisations) you can advise us accordingly by writing to our Membership Officer. If you do not advise us otherwise, you confirm agreement on your own behalf and/or on behalf of others you represent.
If you choose not to provide personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the services you require, or the level of service on which we pride ourselves.
We disclose personal information to other organisations that we believe is necessary to assist in providing our services. The organisations to which we disclose information include:
- Outsourced service providers who manage the services we provide to you, including:
- Sport Education Section (ASC)
- Our professional advisors, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers
- Government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law
We limit the use and disclosure of any personal information provided by us to such organisations for the specific purpose for which we supplied it
When you provide us with personal information about other individuals, we rely on you to have made them aware that you will or may provide their information to us, the purposes we use it for, the types of third parties we disclose it to and how they can access it. This is extremely important for Club owners providing the personal information of their members
Storage and supply of Personal Information
Gymnastics Australia stores personal information on a computer database. Your personal information may be held in both paper file and computer file form. We have implemented measures of a reasonable nature to ensure that all personal information about you is securely stored from misuse, loss and unauthorised handling.
Accuracy of Personal Information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that whenever we collect, use or disclose personal information that it is accurate, complete and up to date.
Acccess to Personal Information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, you can gain access to you personal information by contacting our Membership Officer or by writing to Gymnastics Australia. Alternatively, you may also advise us at any time about possible breaches of privacy, or inaccurate, incomplete personal information, that may have changed.